Physics Week 1
Bio
My name is Eric Darvish. I am 35 years old and from St. Louis, Missouri.
I recently moved back to the Bay Area to study Chinese medicine. I first started my formal study of “alternative medicine” in 2009 when I began studying Western herbalism
at what is now known as the Berkeley Herbal Center. In order to increase my scope of practice, I decided to study tui na at ACCHS, and completed my massage training there in 2011.
During that program, one of my instructors, Jason Frye, suggested I study with another teacher, Liu Ming. Through my experiences stuying tui na at ACCHS and Chinese cosmology and astrology with Liu Ming,
I realized that I wanted to pursue a more in depth study of Chinese medicine, and so I moved back home to St. Louis to finish my undergrad degree and get ready for acupuncture school. While back home,
I got completely sidetracked, and it took me until the Summer of 2019 to refocus my attention and intention to where I want it.
Now I am in back in Oakland, in acupuncture school full time and am very happy and grateful to be here.
Reflections on today’s class: The Meaning of Time
To me, time is the lens through which I perceive change in myself and the world around me.
Time is also an organization tool. The measurement of it helps us to keep track of what we’re supposed to be doing and where we’re supposed to be.
What time we’re supposed to be at work or class, what time we’re supposed to go to bed, what time (of year) we’re supposed to plant seeds and harvest veggies.
These aspects of time are cyclical, meaning they recur to some extent. We have Mondays over and over again endlessly,
but we only have the first Monday in May of 2020 one time (as far as we know). So while certain aspects of the cycle may repeat, not all of them do.
But I also wonder and have wondered for a long time if maybe we are just repeating the same thing over and over again. How do we know that the Big Bang isn’t just marking the beginning of an endless cycle
of the world appearing, expanding, and then condensing again? Was the force of the Big Bang definitely enough to push all of the matter and energy out far enough that it doesn’t eventually condense back into
another super dense homogeneous ball of primordial (or post-mordial) sludge that then bangs again and creates another identical series of events that lead to us all living identical lives to the ones that we lived before,
having the same triumphs and making the same mistakes? Is there any way to know? Is it just a matter of taking increasing more precise measurements to determine that, yes, the universe is definitely still expanding,
and, no, it definitely is not going to slow down and reverse its movement? How can we know we haven’t lived this life an infinite number of times before?
I wonder if other people have ever thought about this and how the idea makes you feel. I simultaneously feel anxious and relieved.
My name is Eric Darvish. I am 35 years old and from St. Louis, Missouri.
I recently moved back to the Bay Area to study Chinese medicine. I first started my formal study of “alternative medicine” in 2009 when I began studying Western herbalism
at what is now known as the Berkeley Herbal Center. In order to increase my scope of practice, I decided to study tui na at ACCHS, and completed my massage training there in 2011.
During that program, one of my instructors, Jason Frye, suggested I study with another teacher, Liu Ming. Through my experiences stuying tui na at ACCHS and Chinese cosmology and astrology with Liu Ming,
I realized that I wanted to pursue a more in depth study of Chinese medicine, and so I moved back home to St. Louis to finish my undergrad degree and get ready for acupuncture school. While back home,
I got completely sidetracked, and it took me until the Summer of 2019 to refocus my attention and intention to where I want it.
Now I am in back in Oakland, in acupuncture school full time and am very happy and grateful to be here.
Reflections on today’s class: The Meaning of Time
To me, time is the lens through which I perceive change in myself and the world around me.
Time is also an organization tool. The measurement of it helps us to keep track of what we’re supposed to be doing and where we’re supposed to be.
What time we’re supposed to be at work or class, what time we’re supposed to go to bed, what time (of year) we’re supposed to plant seeds and harvest veggies.
These aspects of time are cyclical, meaning they recur to some extent. We have Mondays over and over again endlessly,
but we only have the first Monday in May of 2020 one time (as far as we know). So while certain aspects of the cycle may repeat, not all of them do.
But I also wonder and have wondered for a long time if maybe we are just repeating the same thing over and over again. How do we know that the Big Bang isn’t just marking the beginning of an endless cycle
of the world appearing, expanding, and then condensing again? Was the force of the Big Bang definitely enough to push all of the matter and energy out far enough that it doesn’t eventually condense back into
another super dense homogeneous ball of primordial (or post-mordial) sludge that then bangs again and creates another identical series of events that lead to us all living identical lives to the ones that we lived before,
having the same triumphs and making the same mistakes? Is there any way to know? Is it just a matter of taking increasing more precise measurements to determine that, yes, the universe is definitely still expanding,
and, no, it definitely is not going to slow down and reverse its movement? How can we know we haven’t lived this life an infinite number of times before?
I wonder if other people have ever thought about this and how the idea makes you feel. I simultaneously feel anxious and relieved.
Comments
Post a Comment